Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Trick or Treat...Now Gimme Some Candy

~

This is my favorite day of the year...what can be more fun for a theatre diva than dressing up and scaring people? Oh yeah, dressing up her child so HE can scare people.

To be honest, the boy has never dressed up as something scary...he's had ideas, but they either push the "good taste" boundary or the "can't walk around getting candy if you're encased in a wooden coffin" reality. Physics are often a factor - when he was 6 he wanted to take his head off and carry it under his arm. I might have hurt his feelings when I laughed.

Usually, he ends up being something kitschy. Megaman (3 years in a row because the costume, if I do say so myself, was bloody brilliant) John Lennon (he got so much extra candy for that one) a Samurai warrior (rented, so I felt like it was cheating).....

So, what to be this year? In true procrastination-that-is-my-life-style, the costume was left to the last minute. Possibilities were discussed and thrown out as either being too lazy ("I'll go as my friend, Kyle"), too expensive ("let's buy a bunch of video games and glue them all over me" ~ kid thinks he's sneaky), too obscure ("I know! I'll be a Salvador Dali painting!"), or just too impossible, ("What if we put a big box over me and I'll go as a 'This End Up' monster").

So what to be? Time was rapidly dwindling so I issued the ultimatum on Tuesday. "You have to decide tonight because I'm not staying up all night making your costume just because you waited too long." We sat on the couch together, staring off into the space we hoped brilliant ideas came from, and then it hit us at the same time. It probably hit us at the same time because the direction we were hoping brilliant ideas came from was pre-empted by the movie shelf.

Edward Scissorhands.

So, I stayed up all night anyway, but it's looking really good. I wish we'd thought of this 2 weeks ago, but for being a last-minute costume idea it's not TOO bad. I'll post a picture (would that count as one of my daily blogs?) if it looks acceptable.

Happy Halloween, everyone!! Eat lots of candy and scare lots of little children!!!

~

No comments: